Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Goodbye Moment

Hi everyone! I don't have any recent pictures this time around. How about this rain and cold weather....summer left us huh? Just seems like yesterday, we were in Cancun getting all the rays!

I know some of you already know, but for those of you that don't, my grandpa past away yesterday. He was 89 1/2. He was/is a legend in my eyes. He passed away fairly quickly, so he was pretty lucky not to have been going in and out of the hospitals and nursing homes like others that we have all been so close to have. This was an unforgettable experience that my two brothers and I had with him. I know without a doubt, he hung on to see us three kids before he went. Something needed to be said, heard and felt before he went and all of that was allowed to happen through God. I am forever thankful to God for giving us three and our grandpa this one last time together. I would like to brief you on the experience b/c, to me and my brothers, it gave us the perfect closure that we needed with him and him to us....maybe b/c he's our last grandparent.

Gordy (my grandpa) was diagnosed last week with leukemia. When he learned of his illness he didn't take it so well. I called him and he said that he was 'throwing in the towel'. I knew at that moment it was important to see him asap. So when us 3 kids got there, we talked to him. He cried, we cried and held each others hands and got to have grandpa-grandkids time. We talked and as we talked something happened. Somehow, someway, a proposal happened. We said, why don't you come to TX w/us and live out your days with us. We never get to see him much in the past b/c we live so far away and we wanted to have what little time we had with him all to ourselves basically. That man was about to jump plum out of his hospital bed and move to TX with us! His spirits were lifted, he wanted to get well and was excited to go thru therapy and get better and he asked us if we believed that he could get better....WOW! That got to me, of course, if you want to get better, that's half the battle! Anyways, we left and let him relax since there was so much anticipation in his mind at this point. We were all so excited. We also said that if he were to go while we went to get something to eat, that we were all at peace with this, including him.....the point was made that we loved him and he loved us. That's all that needed to be said. He didn't go that night, but the next morning.....he went downhill fast. He continued on to his departure with us for the next two days. Point is....he waited for us to come and give him one last time together with him. What an awesome moment for all 3 of us. I'm so thankful for this one last time with him. We will miss you Gordy! We love you!

So with this situation at hand....there's been something bothering me about this. I know this is called 'life' and it is to be expected that death will happen. No running away from it. Casey has a saying that he uses in certain situations ('That person') and his saying is all I can think of to complete my thought on this death. I'm feeling little bit empty or unidentifiable inside and all that I can come up with is that I have become 'That person'.....I'm 'That person' now with no grandparents left. I understand that lots of people never knew their grandparents or only had one or two of them that they knew, but I was fortunate to know all four of mine and by this weekend, I will have buried all four of them. I'm 'That person' that has no grandparents and I'm a little sad. It means I'm getting older, I'm getting closer to that point, it's just all getting too real almost.

I don't mean to depress everyone that reads this, but I feel like maybe some of you can relate. I had the best grandparents in the world and man I think back of all the hard times they had and they did it for us. What thoughtful and incredible people they were. Thank You!

Thank you for letting me share this sweet story with you....I'm so glad we got that last moment with him.

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miriam Pauline said...

(((hugs))) It has been twelve years since I became "that person" but it still catches me every now and again. But I'm richer because I had my entire childhood and some of my adulthood to know my grandparents, so many people do not have that privilege. I am so glad you were able to say proper good-byes.

Praying for you and the boys this week. Travel safely. More (((hugs))).

sorry...had to edit a major ommission.

The Mellberg Family said...

I know Dusty feels the same way.